Scholarships Opportunities to support Post-graduate Training
RUFORUM collaborates with a diversity of donors to provide scholarships for agricultural post-graduate training. When these scholarships are available they will be advertised. The scholarships are competitive and the best suited students are selected.
Types of Scholarships
The Doctoral Grants
A range of grants and scholarships were initiated in 2012 to include more doctoral students. They provide a mechanism for regional students to attend courses outside their home countries and give impetus to upgrading, and diversifying, the qualifications of faculty throughout the region.
- The DRS (Doctoral Regional Scholarship) is a scholarship awarded competitively to candidates accepted for registration at a RUFORUM sponsored taught PhD program outside their home country. The conditions of these scholarships differ and depend on the sponsor. Normally a DRS of $65000 will cover a full 3-4 year doctoral scholarship to attend one of the RUFORUM Regional Programs.
- The DRRG (Doctoral Regional Research Grant) is a competitive research grant made directly to students who have completed their first year of coursework at a RUFORUM supported Regional PhD program, normally only to candidates from outside their home country. These awards are normally between $10,000 - $20,000. The value of the award and special conditions vary depending on the individual call and the sponsor.
- The DFS (Doctoral Finalization Support) is a competitive grant awarded to students needing funding support to finalize their doctoral research, publish their theses, papers and for the effective dissemination of their results. These awards are made to students who have completed all coursework and fieldwork at a RUFORUM sponsored PhD program. The value and conditions of the DFS vary according to sponsor, but will normally be $10,000.
Graduate Teaching Assistantships
In September 2013 in Kigali Rwanda the RUFORUM Vice Chancellors launched the Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA) Mechanism. This mechanism addresses challenges related to aging / retiring experienced staff in our member universities. The GTA mechanism is about staff exchange for agricultural training at MSc and PhD levels (priority being doctoral training focusing not only on the RUFORUM regional post-graduate training programs but other university programs as well). The GTA Mechanism supports capacity building in key identified gap areas of the participating member universities. RUFORUM member universities send staff for training to other RUFORUM member universities and also receive staff to be trained on behalf of the sending university. The RUFORUM Secretariat plays a brokering role. The key objectives of the RUFORUM Graduate Teaching Assistantship Mechanism are:
- Strengthen inter-university collaboration in the field of higher education in Africa
- Increase the pool of Doctoral trained lecturers in African Universities
- Facilitate academic mobility within the RUFORUM Network and in so doing minimize inbreeding
Please download the GTA Mechanism update document for more information
Field Attachment Program Awards (FAPA) support post-graduate students to intern with prospective employers and work with the clients of their research on uptake, after handing in their theses. A FAPA grant is usually not more than US$4,000
How to apply for RUFORUM Scholarships
Prospective applicants must respond only to open scholarship calls. These calls are circulated widely via the RUFORUM mailing list, website and social media. A web-based system called RIMS (RUFORUM Information Management System) must be used by applicants to apply online.
- If you already have an account, please log in here to submit apply for a scholarship online or submit your progress reports,
- If you would like to submit apply for a scholarship online or submit your progress reports and you don't already have an account, please register here to get one.
Open Calls for 2022
- Call for Innovation Research Grants on responsible Artificial Intelligence for Climate Action Deadline for submission: June 30th, 2022
Archives of Calls
- Call for RUFORUM GTA Doctoral Research Grants 2022/2023 - Closed
- Call for Post- Doctoral Fellowships: RU/2022/Post Doc/01
- RUFORUM-MaRCCI: Call for Post- Doctoral Fellowships: RM/2022/Post Doc/02
- Special FAPA Call – Attachments for PhD & MSc graduates specializing in barley, finger millet, pearl millet & sorghum
- Call for RUFORUM GTA PhD Fellowships 2020/2021
- Call for Post- Doctoral Fellowships: RU/2020/Post Doc/01
- Call for Post- Doctoral Fellowships: RN/2020/Post Doc/02
- Expression of Interest for Staff Mobility in African Universities